Decorex Joburg 2015 took place from 6-10 August at Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, and again showcased great ideas and inspiration from some of South Africa’s most talented decorators and designers.
Decorex Joburg which now includes 100% Design South Africa – one of the world’s leading design exhibitions – together put on the largest visual feast of décor, design, lifestyle and home building and DIY solutions, offering all visitors and trade professionals alike an array of shopping treasures and suppliers.
In celebration of it’s 22 years and a reputation as Africa’s largest décor, design and lifestyle exhibition; we share our top 22 décor highlights from this year’s show:
- Decorex SA patron Stephen Falcke, created a riot of floral colour with the Osborne and Little range of fabrics available at Home Fabrics. We loved the artwords done by the designer himself as well as the quirky paper mache vessels by Paper Pot Studio.
- Slate Interiors was this year invited to curate and design the coveted Decorex Designer Spotlight feature. Their efforts saw them take home the award for Best Décor, using Home Fabrics, for their understated and sophisticated living room installation.
- At 100% Design South Africa, co-located with Decorex Joburg, local and international designers showcased their latest work. Renee Roussouw was selected as the young up and coming feature designer, and she revealed her latest pieces featuring her bright graphic designs.
- Also at 100% Design South Africa, David Krynauw won the Designer of the Year Award, with his fantasy-inspired bent wood designs like the oversized double bed.
- Dauphin HumanDesign Group is arguably one of the world’s leading office furniture designers. We could get used to having meetings in their clever seating pod.
- Burnt Earth Designs wowed Decorex Joburg visitors with their unique and original ceramic tiles that are perfect for a handmade touch to your home décor.
- Mike Made This won an excellence award, for his original and quirky take on bespoke wooden furniture.
- There were plenty of other quirky décor moments in Hall 2 at Decorex Joburg. We loved the original stuffed mooses from the Fine Art Centre.
- Mobelli Outdoor Furniture never fails to impress with their world-class outdoor lighting in particular.
- Tru Outdoor Luxury always showcases original and good value outdoor furniture, and we particularly loved the clever dining cube where the chairs push neatly under the table when not in use.
- Bleached is a furniture studio in the Muldersdrift area and their team creates piles of clever home solutions in once-loved wood.
- Begin with the End in Mind showcased an eclectic mix of crazy storage ideas. We loved the colourful chest of drawers that comes in various sizes and shapes.
- Studio Grain certainly deserved an award for the cleverest design: Their table and shelf folds away into the wall for compact storage in small spaces.
- Mr Price Home is fast turning into everyone’s favourite home store. And with exquisite African-inspired lights like these pendants, it’s easy to see why.
- Plantation Shutters worked with Home Fabrics and Sprout to create a truly exquisite plantation setting in just the perfect shade of green.
- We loved Décor Identity’s perfectly understated black and white bedroom in the Private Property Trend House. They certainly deserved their award in the best Bed and Bathroom category.
- Homewood always draws the crowds with their world-class wooden furniture from the Midlands. Their new range of dining chairs using brightly coloured rope on the seats was a real crowd-pleaser.
- On the bold side, we loved the crazy products by Van Bark – where pictures of dogs are used on aprons and cushion covers with a stylish and humorous result.
- Carpets are fast becoming an important design feature of the home. Kashmiri Silk Carpets showcased traditional as well as stylish contemporary designed carpets.
- No-one seems to be tiring of the plywood furniture craze. Factory 5 took it to the next level with organic shapes and we think they certainly deserved their Best Small Stand Award.
- As is the tradition every year, Plascon revealed their annual Colour Forecast, the 2016 colour palette was presented in a stylish four-roomed setting, perfectly executed with new ideas for paint effects including a quirky take on the ombre effect.
- Caesarstone has won an award at each of the Decorex SA exhibitions around the country this year – and for good reason. Every inch of the stand was one big inspiration, particularly the island feature which provides shelving above and below the work station.
And that wraps up our portfolio’s exhibitions for the year, we are already hard at work to bring you an even bigger and better décor-filled 2016.